It’s been a rough month for DICE and their release of Battlefield 4. Each platform has experienced most of the same issues, and it’s taken far too long for them to get patched into a playable state for many people. I had nearly given up on playing after disconnection and crashing issues, but now it sounds like each version is patched up to date and most of the major issues have been fixed.
Today’s patch focused on a long list of things, with the primary being a “kill trading” fix. Many players were being killed from an already deceased enemy, due to server issues that have now been addressed. Here’s a full list of fixes for today’s update:
- Reduced the probability of the “Kill trade” issue (see below for details).
- Fixed a common crash that could occur during gameplay.
- Fixed an issue that could corrupt save files in the single player campaign.
- Fix for the game mode specific ribbons being counted twice in the multiplayer progression.
- Fix for a graphical glitch that could appear on terrain.
- Fix for the SUAV (introduced in the China Rising expansion pack) not exploding when hitting enemy soldiers. While these indeed should be deadly, they were never designed for “roadkilling” opponents.
- Fix for an issue where 4x the damage from a vehicle’s minigun would be applied to the chest when a player had the Defense specialization equipped.
- Servers that friends are playing on now have a higher priority in the server list.
- Server Browser is no longer showing empty or full servers by default.
- Balancing jet handling across all stealth and attack jet classes.
- Fixed a bug in Defuse mode where defenders could win a round by killing all the attackers without disarming the bomb. If the attackers arm the bomb, the defenders need to disarm it to win, even if they have killed all the attackers.
- Fix for a Defuse bug where none of the teams would win a round by letting the timer run out.
- Fix for players getting stuck in the revive screen.
- Fix for players getting stuck in the kill camera after being revived. Note that you might see a graphical bug on-screen after being revived when accepting a revive within 1 second. This graphical bug will be removed in the next patch.
- Fixed the instance where players suddenly would transition into Spectator Mode while playing the Defuse game mode.
- Fix for the death camera/screen being displayed too early.
- Raised the first-person camera slightly for walking in crouch to more accurately reflect the actual position of the character.
- Fixed an issue with the party chat app not working.
- Fixed an issue in the in-game Battlelog where non-ASCII characters would display incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue when maps were not loading properly while player didn’t have the game in full screen.
It sounds like it’s time for me to hop back in and give the game another shot. I’ve been a huge fan of this series ever since Battlefield 1942, but this release was incredibly rushed and had really bummed me out on the franchise as a whole. EA had DICE put all other projects on hold until Battlefield 4 is fully fixed, which I commend them for, but it doesn’t change the fact that they initially charged people $60 for a broken game.