Though the Steam Machines are still quite some time away for most people, beta testers are going to be receiving theirs from Valve later this year. According to Valve, “The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts…” This means that it’ll be customizable, allowing users to swap out parts just like you would any other gaming PC. Though a lot of other companies are probably going to be releasing SteamOS systems in the future, Valve promises to offer some of the best hardware among the competitors. Below you’ll find the released prototype specs.
- GPU: some units with Nvidia Titan, some GTX 780, some GTX 760, and some GTX 660
- CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
- RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
- Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
- Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
- Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high