The Serious Sam indie initiative was one of the most creative publishing moves I’ve seen in recent years. It tasked indie developers to use the absurd Serious Sam franchise and make something unique with it. One of the more interesting games was Serious Sam Double D from developer Mommy’s Best Games.
What was odd about Double D was that it was created by a company that usually produces Xbox Live Indie Games, but it wasn’t on Xbox. That has now been rectified with publisher Devolver Digital putting it up for XBLA along side their port of Serious Sam 3. The game should be coming in the fall with a number of new additions and will cost 800 MS points.
Below you will find a breakdown along with some screenshots and concept art of the new features and the trailer that originally showcased the new 2nd player Huff.
- Two-Player Local Cooperative Play – Huff will be the second playable character! Not sure who Huff is?? Watch the Trailer above
- Gunstacker Upgrades – Shotguns that fire a horde of bees, Prism Lasers, the return of Serious Sam’s trademark Cannon and more!
- Five Times the Guns – The number of guns has increased from 8 to 40
- New Campaign and Challenge Missions – Take to the air in your very own missile-loaded Pterosaur or roll through your foes on a dynamite-powered unicycle!
- New and Upgraded Enemy Classes – To balance out all this new firepower we’re adding new enemies such as the Torcher Kitty (see below) and the Explosion Eater!
- Reworked Level Design and Flow– And to better frame the new enemies, and Gunstacker additions, there’s lots of tweaks to each level and to the flow of the game itself (such as an improved checkpoint system).
- Voice Acting – Serious Sam’s original actor voices Sam, and we have the absolutely bonkers Huff guy, Netricsa to balance out the ‘boys’, and General Maxilla to add a dash of evil.